Levertine

Please login or register.

Author Topic: How long LevGal will exist?  (Read 7116 times)

starf1

How long LevGal will exist?
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:06:04 PM »
Without increasing the features just keeping it SMF compatible will you able to keep the software usable.  If so how long? Any minimum years you can forecast that you can support?.

My fear is that it should not go Aeva Media way!

Because when it is a one man show there is every chance you may abandon the project, loose interest, find not profitable, other commitments etc., and such a occurrence probability is very high.

Any commitment?

I don't want to put all my SMF picture in one gallery mod which in few years time becomes redundant and make all my post without images loaded up. >:(

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:45:02 PM by starf1 »

Josh

• Allinois Hip-Hop

Re: How long LevGal will exist?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 07:56:11 PM »
Well if you don't plan on upgrading to 2.1 you'll be fine as it already works with 2.0.9. If you plan on upgrading idk if Arantor plans on updating it to 2.1 he would have to answer that. 2.1 could still be 1-2 years away.

TheDDude

• Somebody familiar

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:17:53 PM »
Well if you don't plan on upgrading to 2.1 you'll be fine as it already works with 2.0.9. If you plan on upgrading idk if Arantor plans on updating it to 2.1 he would have to answer that. 2.1 could still be 1-2 years away.
He already did :D
The dream is dangerous.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »
It already works on 2.1 as per the changelog.

The bigger problem is actually that I don't have the time to properly look after what's already built, looking into bug fixes or whatever because after a full work week (8 hours, 6 hours commute, done 5 days a week) writing code is the last thing I want to do. I haven't written any code in weeks outside of work because I pretty much just come home and sleep. Weekends are reserved for doing the stuff I don't get time to do during the week.

I suppose if I start taking my laptop into work I could maybe work on it during the lunch break but as it is I'm under deadlines there where I have been working through my lunch as well.

Steve

• Alcohol is the liquid version of Photoshop.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »
Something's got to give Pete. 30 hours of commute a week is going to take its toll on you soon. Trust me, been there done that. Are you considering moving closer to work and/or a different job or are neither of those options viable at the moment?

Josh

• Allinois Hip-Hop

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »
Something's got to give Pete. 30 hours of commute a week is going to take its toll on you soon. Trust me, been there done that. Are you considering moving closer to work and/or a different job or are neither of those options viable at the moment?

That's a must, not because of the mod but because if you moved closer you could work 60 hours a week, have 10 hours extra and make way more money.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:58:44 AM »
Working "more hours" would be a pay cut for me short of doing contract work (= non guaranteed income) all the work that pays hourly is lower wage than I'm currently on. For the record I am currently earning in the region of $50k USD/year. Would be hard to find something where I could work 60 hours a week and make that, even in two jobs, at least given my work history.

Kindred

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »
Yikes.... they don't pay developers very well over there, do they?

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:52:32 PM »
$50k is about market average for PHP. I could get more working in London but frankly that would require me to spend even more time commuting with a less pleasant commute than I have now... at least I get seats on the trains in the morning.

Kindred

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
hmmm....   we pay experienced PHP and web devs, $80k+ (USD) here... (and that is the low end)
I see jobs in Boston at $140k

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »
Btw since this occurred, I got a surprising pay rise, though it's anyone's guess what the future holds.

Though nothing "broke" in the months I didn't get to looking at it...

Steve

• Alcohol is the liquid version of Photoshop.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 01:10:01 PM »
Note: I've been using this since the beginning and have had ZERO problems with it. ;D

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc