Levertine

Please login or register.

Author Topic: meta-data  (Read 2611 times)

testing123

meta-data
« on: March 03, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »
Hey Pete,
Hope you're well!

I'm wondering if I could tweak LevGal to essentially strip all? of the 'meta-data' attached to images when being uploaded?

I know we have the option to display or hide the information, but would it be possible to have LevGal remove the data completely whilst being uploaded?

& Sorry to be 'that guy', but can we expect an update soon?  :-X
I'm really looking forward to the css fix you managed to solve! (and whatever else may be included!) :)

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

Re: meta-data
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »
An update? I'd love to do one. If you could just unwind time a bit, maybe it'd happen. That and the fact that when I get home I have maybe an hour or so before it's time for bed before I do it all again. And a weekend where I feel up to coding, that'd be nice too, and not tied up with stress, depression or illness. I have spent the grand total of one hour on LevGal since I started this job. But I guess this job is the price for daring to believe I'd actually be any good at this.

What use, exactly, would stripping the data be?

testing123

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:48:23 PM »
I'm sorry to hear your life offline isn't exactly ideal at the moment and understand you've a million and one things that should be prioritized before this stuff.. 
I'm sure things will brighten up for you soon enough and if the new job is getting to you and too much of a stress, ask yourself - is it really what you want to be doing?
I've gone through some dark times myself, so completely understand and if you ever want to talk just drop me a PM :)

& I'd like to remove it to help protect my members anonymity mainly and any other benefits it provides too, like reduced file size.   I know this is quite a niche request so don't expect to see it in a release but would really like if you could share the relevant tweaks needed to achieve this when you've time.

Thanks

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »
is it really what you want to be doing?

Do your passion for your job, realise how much it sucks, how it undermines everything you believed in, and realise that it's never going to get any better because everywhere is broken. The entire industry is broken.

Don't ever follow your passion into a career, it isn't healthy and just sets you up for disappointment. Trouble is, my career background either pushes me into the hellspawn that is financial services or the hellspawn that is IT and I don't have any route out of this. Like I said, this is the price for my mistakes. It's hella steep but what isn't these days?

like reduced file size

If your space is constrained to the point where shaving a few KB off a file is a concern, you're doing it wrong.

but would really like if you could share the relevant tweaks needed to achieve this when you've time.

'relevant tweaks' = safely ripping a JPEG apart and reassembling it. Not a quick or simple job. There's a reason only one library exists for PHP to do this (and it's not one I could ever use)

testing123

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 05:01:06 PM »
I think most industries are broken and corrupt in one way or another, the world is a harsh place at times!
& can totally relate to having to pay for your choices.. - Hopefully things will brighten up soon anyway! :)

The file size was just an added 'bonus' if it were to help and i see..
I guess I'll write up a how-to strip before uploading for anyone concerned.

Sort of on the same page.. - Would it be a big task to allow LevGal to keep transparency in images when uploaded?

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 09:55:30 AM »
Uploaded PNGs should retain transparency, they do in testing both on GD and Imagick processing...?

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc