Levertine

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Permanent license  (Read 2647 times)

Josh

• Allinois Hip-Hop

Permanent license
« on: February 27, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »
Are you guys going to add a permanent license any time soon? Very interested in the mod but not if I have to pay every year. Thanks for the info.

P.S could a mod move this to the correct section? Didn't pay attention to the fact that this section isn't for product related posts. Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:46:40 PM by Josh »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

Re: Permanent license
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »
It's fine here since the question would conceptually apply to anything else I did too. Also, there's only one moderator/admin/developer - and I have to work full time to pay the bills. LevGal's total sales thus far have not even paid for a month's living costs and I doubt I'll ever make the cost of development back.

Honest answer: unlikely. I simply don't have the time to even properly look after the customers I have thus far, let alone supporting more, and permanent licences actually have a nasty habit of generating more customers that actually have a higher support requirement because they feel their one-off payment (however large or small it is) entitles them above and beyond.

If I were still pushing LevGal or Levertine in general as an active consideration, I might consider it but right now... no.

lurk

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 03:34:49 PM »
Pete, just to clarify. 

The one year licence comes with a years support, it doesn't mean after a year you have to remove levgal or buy another licence?
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Josh

• Allinois Hip-Hop

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »
@Arantor, makes sense. Believe me I'm not diminishing your hard work. Just seems like if I'm going to spend 40 every year on one mod I might as well buy vb. Which brings me to this:

Pete, just to clarify. 

The one year licence comes with a years support, it doesn't mean after a year you have to remove levgal or buy another licence?

I'm interested in knowing this as well. I have no need for support. I figured the 40 a year means you can't use levgal if your license expires.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:23:13 PM by Josh »

Steve

• Alcohol is the liquid version of Photoshop.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »
My experience with most software one purchases is that when the license expires, one can certainly continue to use it, one just won't be entitled to upgrades or support.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:01 PM »
Um, where did I ever say the licence expired? It doesn't - the year's support includes upgrades but at no point would you have to stop using it or anything.

At no point is there a phone-home or anything that ties you to the licence, there's no check, because I wanted it specifically so you could continue to use it without getting upgrades or anything. The one year's licence does mean just that: for one year you are entitled to updates and whatnot and support, but that you can use it quite happily thereafter. Just no updates.

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc