Levertine

Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Upcoming Mods?  (Read 5091 times)

lurk

Re: Upcoming Mods?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 10:16:49 PM »
Well, here's the question: what's the principle issue with the current menu mods? I see two problems: no support for pages (which always amuses me when the portal mods offer pages but no menu handling) and limited support for mods. But maybe I'm seeing it wrong, or with a slightly warped perspective because I've been known to do all kinds of different things.

I have thought about a CMS that would bundle a menu mod - and effectively be a portal as well. It's a huge undertaking but it seems to me to be the only sane way to go about this properly, something seamlessly designed to cope with all this.

Well, to be honest I did suggest we should build one into TP, because a portal is exactly where this comes in extremely useful..  Again the idea wasn't taken up.  I have noticed one or two portals now incorporate a menu manager though. 

That said, I still think it's crazy having to edit core files just to add a simple menu button. ;)
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

lurk

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »
Actually.  Stick one in Levgal, and your on to a winner.  :ninja:

TheDDude

• Somebody familiar

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 05:37:20 AM »
Have you tried Ultimate Menu? I wrote it specifically to try to play with other mods.
The dream is dangerous.

lurk

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 07:05:56 PM »
Have you tried Ultimate Menu? I wrote it specifically to try to play with other mods.

Well I thought I had.  :-[

Just added it to my local test site, looks extremely like the one I'm already using tbh.  Can't add a menu item to the levgal dropdown with it though.  I can with the one I'm using.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »
That would be because the LevGal menu is added via a hook. This, sadly, seems to be a common stumbling block that no-one has solved yet :(

In other news, I just updated this site to the upcoming 1.1 release to do some more testing on a live site :)

lurk

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »
That would be because the LevGal menu is added via a hook. This, sadly, seems to be a common stumbling block that no-one has solved yet :(

In other news, I just updated this site to the upcoming 1.1 release to do some more testing on a live site :)

Like I said, I'm sure the menu mod I use can do it.  But its no longer available, and is built in to one of the portal mods. ;)

Cool.  8) Was just going to do some testing actually.  Have you disabled embedding youtube vids?

maxx

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 07:33:01 PM »
I am Not in favor of using to many mods, some love to pile them up, however there are themes that have been made that will allow for  a custom menu to be made and activate via the current theme settings... Now this is something really like about what Bloc was going for a theme package that can take the place of the portal or at least most of it, at least it seemed, any way. and at the same time, I myself was thinking along the same lines.

Main reason that, I feel limiting the needs for so many mods to to change the options on the core, is building or piling up a future cluster _mess for your forum or community. and every time the core gets updated some or several mods, are not updated or in sync with the changes . and then you have another issue or so with your community members and guest'

I'm only speaking minor Mods, not like a full blown gallery :)
The shout box to me I only use to communicate with staff, because of abuse and cleaning up old or nasty shouts.

regards,
Maxx

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »
Was just going to do some testing actually.  Have you disabled embedding youtube vids?

Should be enabled now. Let me know if it doesn't behave.

I am Not in favor of using to many mods, some love to pile them up, however there are themes that have been made that will allow for  a custom menu to be made and activate via the current theme settings...

It was originally a feature of this theme actually, though I removed it because I had no plans on using it.

Main reason that, I feel limiting the needs for so many mods to to change the options on the core

This can be mitigated by having a more modular structure to the core that would allow for such things. SMF does not modularise its code especially well for that purpose, sadly.

TheDDude

• Somebody familiar

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 03:13:55 AM »

Well I thought I had.  :-[

Just added it to my local test site, looks extremely like the one I'm already using tbh.  Can't add a menu item to the levgal dropdown with it though.  I can with the one I'm using.
The LevGal menu is added via a hook in a non-standard way. It works when I move the call to the database.
The dream is dangerous.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 08:30:44 AM »
Define 'non standard' :P Surely any mod that adds itself via the hook is going to be similarly 'non standard'?

TheDDude

• Somebody familiar

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 11:50:42 PM »
Define 'non standard' :P
not using the database :P
The dream is dangerous.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 12:01:14 AM »
Are you calling the database to find which hooked functions there are? Cuz, yeah, that's going to be awkward - I deliberately didn't push all my hooks into the database so that I would never have to worry about keeping on top of maintenance, I keep them totally in my code.
Pages: 1 [2]

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc