Levertine

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Extended properties  (Read 2551 times)

tfs

Extended properties
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:04 AM »
I've got a collection of old family jpg files that my brother worked on for years, entering information on the details tab in the file properties.  Of particular interest is the data in the Title, Subject, Tags and Comments.

To see and edit this data in Windows, right click on a jpg file and go to properties and then the details tab.

Is there a way in which I can get Levertine to automatically display this data?  I see that it shows a little EXIF data, but it did not seem to show the "Comments" data from a file that I uploaded.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

tfs

Re: Extended properties
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 12:43:38 AM »
BTW, just sent $40 via PayPal. :)
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
Thanks, first of all :) I've updated your account to give you access to the downloads in the gallery.

Having actually looked at the file, yes, I can support that - it's just the fields use less-than-well documented aspects of the EXIF format. (Well, I call it a format, it's more like a barely-agreed collection of guidelines.)

Specifically this is a set of tags that are defined in the 'specs' as being introduced by Windows itself, and helpfully in an encoding that is absolutely non standard, yay. But yes, I think I can do something with this for you. I will note that it won't just magically work on the files you already uploaded here, because it will require different handling in the EXIF core to make it work, but I can certainly make it work for new uploads.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:50:09 AM by Arantor »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »
1.1.1 now supports this; it's a sufficiently small thing I don't mind bundling it into an x.y.z+1 release. That'll happen in the next couple of days when I've ironed out a few of the bugs that have recently crept in.

It still won't magically read them out of existing uploads (like the ones here already) but it will at least read them for new uploads when I update the copy here to include this build so once I do that, you'll be able to try it for yourself.

I have not taken the step of calling for the keywords field to be dumped into the master item keywords field... that's doable but that's something I'm reluctant to do just yet as it involves a certain amount of crossing the streams (DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS... IT WOULD BE BAD -- Egon) but I can certainly look into it at some point.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »
As 1.1.1 is now out, I'm moving this to resolved (I've updated it here if you wanted to try it again)

tfs

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:18:15 PM »
I uploaded the same file but it didn't seem to display any of the extended data. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Is there a way to also display the original file name somewhere on the item?

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:47:17 PM »
The additional info block on the sidebar is collapsed by default, but it's in there and the items do show up. I haven't figured out whether to do expansion by default on that one, or make it a user preference or what, but that can certainly be tackled.

As for displaying the original filename, I'm not sure where best to put it - but as an interesting compromise, if you upload the file without manually setting a title, it will use the file name as an item name - and when you do the upload it will show you as you do it, either by drag and drop or with the browse button (and same deal for bulk upload)

tfs

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 06:01:03 PM »
Ah... sorry. Blind man here! :)

RE: Original filename.. I'd think to look for it on the Item Information block

tfs

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 06:02:49 PM »
BTW, just did a test upload of about 150 JPG's and it went nicely.  Only thing I found myself looking for was some sort of button or link (upon completion) that said "OK", or "Return to Levertine Gallery".

lurk

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »

Only thing I found myself looking for was some sort of button or link (upon completion) that said "OK", or "Return to Levertine Gallery".

Ditto on that one.  Then again like I mentioned before http://levertine.com/index.php?topic=29.msg155#msg155

it would be nice if it just went to a edit page where you could add info to all the items you just uploaded, titles descriptions etc, then click continue, or save.
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:12:32 AM »
On the filename, I think that could be made a thing, though I still suspect most people will just drag 'n' drop or bulk upload and have the item name inferred from the filename anyway. Can certainly add to the 1.2 list (just gotta remember to sanitise it because it's stored completely unsanitised in the database because it's needed that way under certain operations)

On the subject of 'when you're done with bulk upload', I can totally see that going three ways - "Go to album", "Upload more files to this album", "Edit these files" as buttons. The last of these is a huge piece of work and may well end up being a release all on its own, don't know yet, whereas the other two buttons are a 10 minute job to implement.

Needs more thought while I'm wrangling some of the other stuff (that bbcode for example!)

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc