Levertine

Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: thumbnails in posts ?  (Read 14560 times)

Steve

• Alcohol is the liquid version of Photoshop.

Re: thumbnails in posts ?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
I wouldn't mind it being a bit taller since I already have to scroll anyway. I misunderstood what was being done here. I can do it the way you made it available ... if I can remember ... :P

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »
Code: [Select]
[media id=33 type=preview]Neat graffiti I found in Brighton[/media]

TomW

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 01:16:39 AM »
I downloaed 1.1.1 and cannot seem to find the show-preview-image option.  I looked thru the admin pages and couldn't find a setting.  On the 'Viewing item' page the only options I see under 'Share Item' are  'Share Page', 'BB Code', and 'BB Code with desc'.  Am I missing something ?  It looks like I installed it properly as Package Manager shows 1.1.1 as installed.  I previously installed 1.0.4; is there a chance that I am still running the older version ? 

Steve

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2015, 02:04:06 AM »
You're not missing anything. Look 4 posts up from this one. You just have to type it in.

Some of us are still trying to convince Arantor that a bbcode link to the full size image is a good thing, despite his reservations of the page being whacked out if someone uploads a massive picture. :P
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:05:57 AM by Steve »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2015, 12:31:32 PM »
Here's the deal: 1.2 (not released yet) does have a copy/pastable bbcode for the preview image.

There are two problems with embedding the full item in a post.

1. Image size. Your average digital photo weighs in at 3000px or wider. Even smart phones typically take into that region these days. Curve starts breaking beyond 2300px wide, so letting it expand the page it a bad idea. I can force it to resize downwards but in reality on a *lot* of themes, the preview size is actually about as much as you're going to get anyway (and you might as well have a few hundred KB of preview rather than multiple MB of image when you're showing practically the same size for a lot of cases, nor is there any way I can magically determine this)

2. Things that aren't images. LevGal supports video and audio natively, embedding these into posts requires a bunch of stuff to make it work, just as embedding the lightbox does. I'm not keen on fighting with the eldritch gods about this one but I think I'm going to have to give it another try.

I have been delayed on working on 1.2 due to RL stuff but I really should push this out even if I don't have all the shiny things I wanted in it, simply because there's bug fixes that are worth having in it.

Steve

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »
Yea, you've posted those reasons before ... you also said:

Though I guess I can include a bbcode option for 'display full size anyway and if it breaks my layout, so what?'

Maybe make that an option in the settings to show or not? Of course, that would mean being able to select which membergroups that shows to so I don't if that's getting complicated or not ...

What about a selectable preview size? Is that an option? Could I make it say, 800 x 800 vs. 500 x 500?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:45:17 PM by Steve »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2015, 06:14:14 PM »
Yes but there is one huge problem: when it breaks under that circumstance - and it will - you will then ask me to fix it. And I won't be able to beyond the points already raised. I firmly do not like giving out things that I know ahead of time will break just to wait for them to break and to have to 'fix' it again. It is a waste of both my time and your time to go through that process ;)

I really do not want to get into selectable preview size because there are plenty of times it simply isn't going to be of any use to configure, not nearly as much as people actually think (having spent years observing how people use the likes of Aeva where this is an option). Invariably what happens is that admins configure it for what looks right 'to them', and if they have a non-fixed width setup, there's a reasonable chance it'll be broken for their users. Even 500px is too big in some cases (think phones). For the amount of effort required, it's actually really not worth it to implement that.

500px was not chosen 'because it's a nice round number', I did a whole bunch of experiments on a bunch of different themes and resolutions to find the size that looks approximately right for the bulk of cases, while balancing not being too huge, while balancing the fact that not all preview images come from the same place ;) In an ideal world I'd actually have had 542px which I found was the ideal value to balance all of these things but that is definitely not a nice round number ;)

Steve

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 10:16:37 PM »
Okay then.

TomW

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »
You're not missing anything. Look 4 posts up from this one. You just have to type it in.

Thanks.  I just committed the mortal sin - not reading prior posts before posting :-[

Informing my members to manually type it in will lead to confusion; I'd much rather it be displayed along with the others.  Maybe it could be configurable so that the admin can decide which options to display ?   

lurk

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
In Coppermine we have.

Thumbnails. Size set in config.
Intermediate.  (Normal) This is the equivalent of the preview images. Size for these is also set in config,
Full size. This isn't actually the full size image straight from camera, it's a full size as set by admin in the config.  Set at a size which in my mind would suite most monitors.

The thing I can't understand is why anyone would want to upload full size images tbh.  I hate having to scroll around trying to view images in four parts  lol..  Not to mention the image is downloaded to your computer each time you view one, this takes up a huge amount of space, and some who still have slow connections the images take ages to load.

Unless submitting to a image library (Those files are huge) , members of your site should learn to optimise their images for web use.

Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Steve

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2015, 08:57:15 PM »
Thumbnails. Size set in config.
Intermediate.  (Normal) This is the equivalent of the preview images. Size for these is also set in config,
Full size. This isn't actually the full size image straight from camera, it's a full size as set by admin in the config.  Set at a size which in my mind would suite most monitors.

That's kinda what I was hoping for but if it's not doable as Arantor explained above, that's fine. The benefits outweigh the wishful thinking. :P

lurk

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »

That's kinda what I was hoping for but if it's not doable as Arantor explained above, that's fine. The benefits outweigh the wishful thinking. :P

Well it is doable, but not of any use for posting in the forum, if you have to scroll around to see it.  It would make the forum look a mess tbh

OK, on my site I have BBCode for the full size image.  But what it actually does is add the Intermediate image to the post, but it's clickable to the full size image.  Like this,

Or, this one which is clickable takes you to the Intermediate image in the gallery itself.

Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2015, 10:18:55 PM »
I just committed the mortal sin - not reading prior posts before posting

Especially as 1.2 contains the preview bbcode as a handy copy/paste item. As has been mentioned at least once already, I'm sure.

Maybe it could be configurable so that the admin can decide which options to display ? 

I'm really reluctant to spend time on this more than necessary... especially as I just started a new job which is taking a lot of my time up right now. I have a *massive* list of things I'd rather be adding than this, to be quite honest, especially as I can see (as explained) how come this is going to cause trouble long before it's actually useful.

Steve

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2015, 12:19:37 AM »
Well it is doable, but not of any use for posting in the forum, if you have to scroll around to see it.  It would make the forum look a mess tbh

You misquoted me. I quoted the three things you mentioned in CPG and said what I did. I wouldn't want a an image I'd have to scroll around to look at either.

At any rate, this is all moot. As far as I'm concerned, this could be put to rest. 8)

BerniceHolland

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »
There are lots of image hosting sites. But try using this http://picuploaders.com. It has direct image links, BBCode and HTML thumbnails.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc