Levertine

Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: thumbnails in posts ?  (Read 15921 times)

Steve

• Alcohol is the liquid version of Photoshop.

Re: thumbnails in posts ?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
I see.

Maybe an option to show full-size images in 'Media Settings'? Just throwing things out there.

Steve

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 03:34:07 PM »
Man, I am sorry to keep bothering you but without a manual I don't have much choice. :(

A member tried to upload a 1289 × 1061 image and apparently was given the error message you mentioned but the image still uploaded. Is that because the preview limits are less than what I set in "Media Quotas and File Types"? Or why would it upload?

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
The problem with having full size images is that it can't just be a simple toggle - because you just know users will add huge pictures breaking the site layout (and fixing that with CSS is doable but in most cases you'll end up with something the size of the preview picture anyway). Needs more thought whatever I end up doing.

As for the limits... what limit did they hit exactly? It shouldn't upload if it's too big, it should be kicked back before that. :( Though I will note that the algorithm applied is a little interesting, and possibly not ideal but it made sense at the time - it doesn't say x*y are hard limits for both x and y in the conventional sense. It takes x*y and calculates the maximum number of pixels an image can contain, and compares *that*. It's not intuitive but at the time I seem to recall thinking it would work better for certain types of cameras where the image was just on the boundary of what would be acceptable without the admin having to keep messing around with the figures. Probably should be changed though to be more as expected.

Steve

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
I had set 800 x 800 in Media Quotas and File Types for her membergroup.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 04:43:58 PM »
And she's not in any other membergroups?

(I should probably split this topic if I can figure out where to split it)

Steve

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
Nope, just the one (I checked to be sure.)

Oh, it's not a post count based group if that means anything.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 06:16:54 PM »
Post count groups are all excluded anyway for the purposes of quotas. Hmm, guess I will have to review that code then.

Oh and rerailing this a moment, I added something to the media bbcode, so for complex form [media id=1]description[/media], there's now [media id=1 type=preview]description[/media] which covers showing the preview image where one is available.

Of course if an image is non-existent, or is off limits, it still won't be shown, and if it's mature (and the user's preference is to leave those hidden) it'll be replaced with the mature icon. (All part of why it's scary complicated to do and why it needs to be batched together for performance reasons)

TomW

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 07:01:48 PM »
I'm ok with showing the preview image as opposed to the thumbnail image.  Maybe make this an option ? 

Also adding an image resizer, optionally, would be very nice.  My members typically attach large files.  I've told them over and over how to resize files, but many have become accustomed to using FaceBook and just don't understand the problem.

Mind you, I really like this mod as a gallery.   I've tried the others and this is the easiest to use, and the most robust as far as file-handling goes.   It's the use of the images from the gallery into forum posts that is my concern.  Thanks.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
In the upcoming 1.1, there is already a bbcode option for preview as outlined.

An image resizer... well, there's already handling for thumbnail, preview, full size - and display something in lightboxes on the main item page. Users need never know they're dealing with massive images (we were testing it with 6000x9000 pixel images and they appeared on screen normally) because for the most part it's simply hidden from them unless they press the download button.

I get your concern about embedding into posts, and I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is the best thing to do - bearing in mind I have the usability concerns you have, plus a series of technical concerns that are my job to deal with and explicitly not to push onto other people. I just know how much hassle I had fighting with Aeva over its use of Highslide on non-Aeva pages and I'm eager not to have to push that on to anyone else with a 'sorry, I can't do it any better'.

Right now, 1.1 offers the thumbnail and preview as bbcode options. I'm getting the impression your preference would be for the lightbox on the bbcode view with a link to the item page... off hand I don't know if I can pull that off reliably - but I have an idea or two on how it might be tackled. It's just doing it in a way that balances all the other issues around performance and not hurting your server in the process, because that would suck to have to do.

TomW

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 10:58:44 PM »
I think that 1.1 would work fine with previews in the posts.  Once that is released I will have some of my users try it out for feedback.  Thanks.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 11:15:06 PM »
Well, I have a few things I still want to do for 1.1, but I'm definitely finding that I'd rather do more frequent smaller releases than larger ones; my original plan for 1.1 was 2-3 weeks' work but I get the feeling having maybe weekly releases with 1-2 bigger features or 3-5 smaller features would be preferable.

I don't mind... trying to figure out what would work best for people. Certainly this is going to be an iterative process where I figure out what people want and try to build it for their needs and a more rapid iteration cycle would help that.

Steve

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 12:12:56 AM »
I'm good with frequent releases. Whatever works for you but I'm all for this:

... maybe weekly releases with 1-2 bigger features or 3-5 smaller features would be preferable.

:)

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 09:28:28 AM »
So, now that 1.1.x is out including the [media id=1 type=preview] feature, what do people think? More? In what ways?

Don't worry about the technical stuff, that's my job even if I sound pessimistic about it because I'll figure something out, I always do :P Tell me how you think it should work, what you need, what works for you, and I'll do what I can to make it happen.

Steve

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »
Where exactly is that bbcode shown? All I see after installing 1.1.1 is the attached.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »
I didn't link to it, didn't want to make that section significantly more bit than it already is. But if folks are OK with that being even taller, it can be added without any hardship.

But just because it's not ready printed for you doesn't mean it isn't a thing ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc