Levertine

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wish List  (Read 2114 times)

Steve

• Alcohol is the liquid version of Photoshop.

Wish List
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:18:11 PM »
This is my wish list of features I'd like to see (one can dream, right?) ;)

1. An 'Add Item' option in the Media link hover menu. It would take you to the albums available page.

2. A 'select all' button for permissions. I have a lot of membergroups and it was tedious to go through each permission and click each and every membergroup that I wanted to allow when I wanted to allow all (or almost all) of them.

Other than that, I can't think of anything!  8)

Edit: I just realized that 'See Albums' is almost the exact same thing as #1 so scratch that!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:20:10 PM by Steve »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

Re: Wish List
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:30:31 PM »
2. is surprisingly difficult to implement because while it might not look like it, that's actually an SMF component at work, and it has other issues in that department too, where to my mind the group name should be clickable as well but then I remembered that it also natively supports deny permissions and you can't really do 'click on the label to select the item' in that situation.

I'll have a think about if I can do magic on it instead since I don't think SMF is planning to change that one :(

As for wishing... there are things I will say no to but it's never because 'I don't like the idea', there are always reasons beyond that, and if they're feasible to implement, I'll implement them subject to people wanting them, feasibility, demand, that kind of thing. Something that's a 10 minute job - even if only one person wants it - is still more likely than something that's weeks of work. But end of the day, you've paid for it, and it's my responsibility to produce something worthy of that :)

Steve

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »
Understood.

As I said, it's just a 'Wish List', not an 'I gotta have!' list. 8)

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:38:02 PM »
Yes but there is something nice about making wishes come true :)

Steve

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »
Indeed there is. :)

Steve

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »
Oh! Oh! I have another wish!

When I hover over the Media link and slide down to 'My Media', I wish for a submenu to open showing my albums and clicking one takes me to that album. 8)

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
I was planning on expanding that to have a submenu which takes you to 'your items' or 'your albums' but given that you can have a basically unlimited number of albums, nested within each other quite happily (far beyond what any submenu would actually support in SMF)...

Curve menus out of the box can only support 9-10 items at any one level and the main menu typically only supports to the extent of Media > My Media > My Items. Going to the possible nesting that the gallery can do is a serious headache :(

Steve

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 11:07:29 PM »
I see.

Even a Media -> My Media -> My Albums would be nice. :)

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:12:35 PM »
That'll be in 1.1.

Steve

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 01:03:39 AM »
Awesome.

Steve

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »
I would like to see once I've clicked Media -> My Media -> My Albums the option to 'Add Album' at that point.

And a bbcode to the full-size image.

:P

(again, this is just a wish list)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:03:58 PM by Steve »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »
Still not keen on having the *full size* image. I don't know any theme that could cope with some of the images in my test site, like the 6000x9000 pixel monster we threw at it, for example. Even your average digital photo in landscape is bigger than Curve can handle. (Actually, the photos off my camera will be too big whichever way around they are, haha)

Lightbox can be a thing, but I'll have to play with that to make it work well on themes and not screw up. Could get real interesting.

Also... a link, even though 'add new album' is in the main media menu? It's not a problem... just trying not to overload with stuff.

Steve

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
Oh wait! *smacks forehead*

Forget the add album thing.

My wish for the full size image bbcode is because everyone on my forum knows the image limit we set (800 x 800) but I can certainly see the problem you're describing. Maybe down the road an option in the Media Settings or Permissions to allow that bbcode? (can't remember if I said that before, if so, apologies)

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »
Well, if I can figure out how to do the lightbox in a sane fashion, none of that becomes a problem because it'll just show whatever size fits on the screen. Even the monster JPEG fits on the screen if you scale it down.

It's just a technical hurdle to handle that the way I do bbcode, but I will have fun with it and seeing what I can make happen. Theory says it should be doable.

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc