Levertine

Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2.1 support  (Read 4151 times)

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

2.1 support
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:32:31 PM »
I have done a bit of work in 1.0.3 for making LevGal work on SMF 2.1 beta 1, though I had to fix related code anyway which is how that happened. It does kind of work now, albeit with some breaking bugs (there's layout issues and the editor widget is semi-broken but that's no huge deal to fix, I segregated the functionality away from the edit into LevGal_Helper_Richtext for this kind of reason)

How much do people want a 2.1-ready version or can it safely wait for a little bit? I will note that building packages for 2.1 is pain for me because I can't build zip packages - owing to the fact I include Silverlight fallback components for video/audio/uploading that the browser might not support, this breaks the package manager in 2.1.

(For those wondering, issue #2593 covers what happens.)

lurk

Re: 2.1 support
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:06:20 PM »
I'm in no hurry tbh, I've only tried 2.1 in a local install so far.  Great that you're working on it though, because I guess we're all going to head that way at some point.  ;)
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Steve

• Alcohol is the liquid version of Photoshop.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
Personally I'd say it can wait. Looks like it's going to be awhile for 2.1 anyway.

Just out of curiosity, when you do make it 2.1 ready, will it cover both 2.0.x and 2.1 or will you have to have two separate versions?

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:26:51 PM »
That's the best part about what I'm doing. The core logic under the hood requires very little change between 2.0 and 2.1. There is a hook I need that's in 2.1 that isn't in 2.0 (so the code path for 2.0 can be ignored there), there's a renamed column in the database (the member group stars column is now internally known as icons and the URL to them is a bit different) and the editor component needs a bit different handling - but this stuff I was aware of and largely built in a way that separated this stuff out.

The plan is to have the 2.1 version essentially grab the 2.0 code and then apply the files that are different on top of it, which should be the templates (due to changes in 2.1's markup and style) and one of the helper modules (because the rich text editor code is different). That last one is interesting and important in a lot of ways - because the main editor code is so awkward in general to actually deal with (and I spent time researching how I did it back in SimpleDesk because I didn't remember how to do it), I made a thing called LevGal_Helper_Richtext which isolates *all* of the editor behaviour away from the core LevGal code, meaning that provided the wiring matches up (each function does the same job as it did before), the core doesn't care which editor is being used as long as the helper does its job and returns the expected data. It's sort of magic really :P

In fact, LevGal doesn't even look terrible for the most part on 2.1, the main item page works fine for example. I could make use of shiny features in 2.1 but then I'd have to split the code base to do it when the 2.0 stuff works perfectly fine as it is. For example, jQuery is bundled with 2.1 and I could use that and rejig how the media player and lightbox work to work with how 2.1 does it but then I'd have quite a few large chunks of code that operated differently which increases bug likelihood.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:50:41 PM by Arantor »

Steve

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »
I see ... I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase this (was just waiting for the biggest kinks to be worked out) and I haven't decided whether I'm upgrading to 2.1 or not yet ...

Thanks for the explanation and I'm actually surprised I understood most of it. :P

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:54:23 PM »
What kinks?

Steve

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
The ones you've fixed already, which probably are minor. :)

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 05:34:58 PM »
You can always see what's been done in the changelog.

Still building a storefront to make buying easy right now...

Steve

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »
I check the changelog every time there's an entry.

Is paypal an option yet or are you working on that?

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 06:25:43 PM »
Working on a PayPal thing. The whole 'denying to EU' thing is surprisingly irritating to integrate into PayPal.

So much so in fact that I'm working on changing the site smileys just to have a bit of fun in the meantime :ninja:

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 03:08:36 AM »
So, 1.0.4 has SMF 2.1 support in it. I don't think anything's broken in it :P

TomW

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »
Thanks, although I won't need 2.1 compatibility until a few other mods are 2.1-compatible.

TheDDude

• Somebody familiar

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 09:33:56 AM »
So, 1.0.4 has SMF 2.1 support in it. I don't think anything's broken in it :P
I'm truly impressed. I wasn't expecting this until v1.1 at the earliest.
The dream is dangerous.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »
2.1 support was actually about a day's work all in all. Compatibility is actually better than expected even if I have to package the mod as a tar.gz file rather than a zip (which is much easier)

appliancejunk

• ApplianceJunk.com

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 11:23:20 PM »
You can always see what's been done in the changelog.

Still building a storefront to make buying easy right now...

Will this storefront be part of Levertine? I'm wondering if it would be possible to sell files we have in our own Levertine.

Thanks,
Pages: [1] 2

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc