Levertine

Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Upcoming Mods?  (Read 5298 times)

br360

Upcoming Mods?
« on: January 02, 2015, 11:35:01 PM »
Hey Arantor; I'm sure you will be focusing on your gallery mod for a while, but I know I read somewhere on smf that you were going to be doing more paid mods in the future as well. Personally, I'm hoping that you eventually decide to take on creating a shoutbox/chat mod soon, as I would be one of the first ones to buy that. ;)

Do you have any plans to add a section or sticky thread here that will let everyone know what other paid mods you will be working on in the future, or perhaps a suggestion section so people can post what they might be wanting and willing to pay for?

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

Re: Upcoming Mods?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 03:37:29 AM »
I don't like publishing roadmaps of things like that precisely because if circumstances change and I can't focus on what I wanted to focus on, I'm likely to find that awkward to deal with - much better if I announce stuff as I'm definitively working on it rather than 'what I might work on', at least formally.

FWIW, yes, a decent shoutbox would be a nice addition and it's not like I didn't do a shoutbox before (I did, and it was built as a plugin for SimpleDesk, and had no file edits, so it's totally doable) but there are other considerations I have to deal with in the interim (like finding a new job)

br360

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 05:13:02 AM »
Totally understandable. Good luck with the job hunt.

lurk

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 09:35:51 AM »
Must admit I tried a few shoutbox / chat mods, and didn't get them working at all, or couldn't make them look how I wanted.  That was before we had decent one in TP 1.1 beta.

Pete, I'm surprised you are struggling to find work with your coding skills to be honest   Or does this come down to employers taking the P, pay wise?
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »
It's not so much my skills that are the problem. I've been doing the Levertine thing since the summer with every intention of making it my core business, so to speak. But as time's gone on and I realised the extent of the VAT stuff, and the size of the SMF market being smaller than I thought, this is not financially survivable long term.

So longer term I will actually need to be doing the conventional job thing. I may be a good programmer but right now I'm not really so business savvy.

lurk

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 07:45:29 PM »
Get into building apps, there's money to be made there. ;)

Our daughters boyfriend used to design and build websites for a living, then started into apps.  He seems to be making more from those than he does building websites.

I'm not business savvy either, I've only been self employed about 16 years. lol...  :D

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 07:50:27 PM »
Well, I'd do apps if I had good ideas for apps. I'm not short of ideas but most of my ideas aren't app related. :(

That said, if people shoot me ideas that seem feasible, I'll certainly take a look...

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 04:45:01 AM »
In the meantime I will also note that one mod I will definitely be doing sooner rather than later is a souped-up version of my infamous Annoy User mod with far more interesting and painful things to do to users. >:D

Bruce the Shark

• Fish are friends not food

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »
hey captain.
Just read your topic here. dude your such a brilliant coder, you certainly have talent,  all the best with the job hunt i hope it goes good for you.

Interesting you should mention your new mod Annoy User that your planning on making...hum sounds like something thats in my field to annoy the users, lol

If i think of anything worth creating i'll give you a hola. I am sure there is so much you can do. I think the list of possibilities would be endless.
You just got to hit the right target and market. Your half way there. Keep up the good work

Justyne

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »
This is basically just an excuse for him to be a big brat. What he does best.

I am looking forward to that mod though. There are some awesomely annoying ideas in there.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »
Oh yes, Justyne has been privy to the list of things I can abuse people with in that mod and has even made a few suggestions to make it more amusing :D

First I have more awesomeness for the gallery to build though.

lurk

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »
I'd still love to see a decent menu manager for SMF.  As you know I've always been a firm believer in the fact it should be a core feature, but it doesn't look like it will be as far as I'm aware.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »
There are menu manager mods, but I did contemplate a full CMS with integrated menu manager, which seems more like what's really needed to me. The menu part is kind of hard to make work given the mods out there that play havoc with the menu, though :(

lurk

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 09:28:20 PM »
I don't like any of the current ones tbh. (no offence meant to the authors)  None of the free ones work in a way that encourages  me want to buy the paid version.

I still use a old menu mod on my sites, although you have to use it in the right way or it'll kill your site, and overload the server. lol..  Used in the right way it works perfectly though.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 09:58:06 PM »
Well, here's the question: what's the principle issue with the current menu mods? I see two problems: no support for pages (which always amuses me when the portal mods offer pages but no menu handling) and limited support for mods. But maybe I'm seeing it wrong, or with a slightly warped perspective because I've been known to do all kinds of different things.

I have thought about a CMS that would bundle a menu mod - and effectively be a portal as well. It's a huge undertaking but it seems to me to be the only sane way to go about this properly, something seamlessly designed to cope with all this.
Pages: [1] 2

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc