Levertine

Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Image hosting whats worth signing up to  (Read 7737 times)

lurk

Re: Image hosting whats worth signing up to
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »
I guess for the portal users amongst us, a slider block code would be of use, to show off the latest uploads, or random images etc.

Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Bruce the Shark

• Fish are friends not food

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 11:51:55 PM »
If you do use a slider, I would limit it to the intro page or home page, other wise it may get annoying and distracting, and also place some content above the slider so the S engines index that content! and yes there are sliders that are free or even much cheaper.

regards,
maxx

Maxx also wrote

"I my self will never use any type cloud services, any many are starting to sell software for building website and the like in a cloud, not mention severs suck, very slow many errors and all you work will be in someone else's hands ans bot under your control, too many have to much faith and trust in the those trying monopolize the Net!"

Dude you said it clearly and  i feel the very same way here as you do on this one.

to sum it up.

I just didn't know, and i thought to myself that other members have been using and signed up to these image sharing sites to free up resources.

Again as mentioned to you captain with regards to the sider i just gave you an example of a website that deals with this particular add on.

But in practical terms there are many other image slider/ carousel  out there on the market, some may be even free that can be looked in.

My thoughts are at the moment is, that SMF is in urgent need of a revamp soon for something that can integrate more easily to have this sort of feature added within your mod or separately on a universal scale.

I believe that having this, it will be very advantageous for the members.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:03:39 AM by Bruce the Shark »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 09:52:59 AM »
The thing is, an image carousel is not really something the SMF core would have in it, it's not something especially useful for discussions per se, but on a more media-centric site it would be a definite advantage.

I'm just curious how people would use it (not that I don't already have my own ideas) just because I want to work with you guys that use the gallery to be able to fit your needs better :)

Bruce the Shark

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »
Its mainly a cosmetic layout to spruce up the forum to make it look more like a web page.

To make it more homier or cozy for young generation to inspire there creative ability to build there community.

Look Captain this theme that you are using here is great its so simple and plain, and i can truly say i really like it.

But all it needs is a slider to add some images to show new comers what can be accomplished even tell them a simple story through your images or direct them to that page for more info.

What surprises me is that Proboards has this plugin of some sort because i remember seeing it and being used on someones else forum.

What i can't understand is why SMF is so far behind the times.

We are in the 21st century and i think its time that we really need to consider this carefully and make a move on this.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »
Maybe I should experiment with a portal mod :D

I get what you're saying, I'm just not entirely sure how best to make that work for me right now. It does make me think about doing something neat with a portal mod, and a slideshow of gallery features using the pictures I already have.

maxx

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
Yes A slider may look good, however only on the intro page and after the Key content is displayed ( the Site and product description), so it's read/indexed by the spiders first, if not they will pick up what ever test they find.

You can do a portal like TP and Have A front page, or not, and have an upper block display only on forum index. the other block/panels can be shut down. (and set as needed in the future) A page may cause a redirect not good!
upper panel on Forum index, I'd think!

Every page as I mention before will become annoying and distract from the content. and the slider should not be huge either, I'd use thumbs but possibly a bit bigger the normal, just enough to tease with some details. set slow and smooth.

Now for the project I'd like to see a playlist and slide show option if possible, or plug-in ???
wedding pictures, Baby pictures, birthdays and even nature pictures ( for the user)!

regards,
Maxx

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »
I'm thinking about it in the context of being a platform vendor, more than I am in the context of being a site owner. My needs on this one are to figure out how other people want to do this stuff and what they want to do with it. What I might do on this site is a different thing altogether to what I build into LevGal itself.

I have found a slider that suits my needs (free, suitably licensed, looks neat), so and it has neat options in terms of effects so integration can easily be a thing. Still need to figure out how users expect this stuff to work, though. In case you're wondering, I'm looking at http://www.jssor.com/demos/index.html

maxx

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 12:29:46 PM »
Very Nice !

Bruce the Shark

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »
Yes that does look go. Its a start. Just make it so its not to fancy and then you might want to add on some more features later. At least they know you got this in your mod.

To me this image gallery and slide show do go together hand in hand.

Also as Maxx suggested the play list or plugin for the wedding photo and baby pictures you cant leave that out because you cant have a slide show without adding some music to it.
It might be to boring, should someone complain, which they will anyway.

Set the music/playlist to autostart in the control panel or disable it.

here's my example copy this two here Captain, there free
http://www.metamorphozis.com/free_flash_templates/metamorph_flash61/
http://www.metamorphozis.com/free_flash_templates/metamorph_flash101/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:45:57 PM by Bruce the Shark »

maxx

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 06:48:32 PM »
I don't want to carried away with too many bells, just things that come to mind for the future, I sure there are more important things to consider now :)

regards,
Maxx

Bruce the Shark

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 04:54:00 AM »
So true i think we made our point loud and clear here

Now Captain its all in your capable hands. Good luck with it and remember were all counting on you.

( and don't call me Shirley )

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 03:04:19 PM »
Oh yes, the point that a slider of some kind is a good thing is well understood.

Just trying to figure out how best to implement it because I suspect more options than 'latest x pictures' would be ideal here (and a slider pretty much works best *being* pictures rather than other stuff), perhaps a specific album.

lurk

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 05:54:06 PM »
Oh yes, the point that a slider of some kind is a good thing is well understood.

Just trying to figure out how best to implement it because I suspect more options than 'latest x pictures' would be ideal here (and a slider pretty much works best *being* pictures rather than other stuff), perhaps a specific album.

Ever thought about a plugins system for Levgal?  Then offer things like sliders etc as plugins.  Can't for the life of me think where that idea came from.  >:D
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »
I did a plugin system for SimpleDesk once upon a time.

Fun bonus fact: LevGal has its own integration hooks. It actually provides some itself just in case of stuff like this. Though more never hurts and I may make later versions a shade more extensible for stuff like that.

Though this still sounds like a portal thing rather than not to be honest... I can imagine a slider block on a portal, I can vaguely imagine one on the front page of the gallery, elsewhere not so much.

But the thing about a plugin system... there are not so many things I can imagine where I'd want to make something a plugin rather than a core feature.

maxx

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »
Just to be clear, for me I was thinking of the slider, only to show the features of the Gallery on your site only! just one page one time. Slider and slide show to different animals!

Now the slide show feature is something that most all galleries have, and is needed by most!
You just pick a catalog and click slider show icon and that's it, or you may add a random show if you like!
if you  mouse over the slide it can pause or not depends on you. if they click an image in the slide show it could be enlarged or opened, depending on you! and of course the stop  show button!

No way for a slider, they are normally image coded in by hand, form a set file/\ don't the need for a slider for the gallery, just for demo stuff on your site!

I hope this makes some pennies and nickles.!

regards,
Maxx
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc