Levertine

Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Image hosting whats worth signing up to  (Read 7023 times)

Bruce the Shark

• Fish are friends not food

Image hosting whats worth signing up to
« on: January 18, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
Hi
Ok my turn to ask a noob question here and i hope i can word this correctly.

With this mod Levertine i gather the images are stored on some external cloud system but i am interested to know whats a good site to have these images shared on or stored to get these codes and stuff for your forum.

Unless they are stored on your own hosting provider which i gather wouldn't be such a great idea due to the resources being stretched to the limits

I myself have Photobucket and its ok, but there are to many ads there, and i guess the same would go with other image hosting sites as well.
But

i am not sure if there gonna be some pros and cons here to some of the following sites that i been looking at below.

SmugMug
Photobucket
Picasa
Facebook
and Flicker

there might be even more but these are the ones i feel comfortable with but am happy to look at others or get your opinion and thought.

Sorry if i haven't worded this to correctly here.

Any suggestions please.

Regards

Bruce

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:50:41 AM by Bruce the Shark »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

Re: Image hosting whats worth signing up to
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
With this mod Levertine i gather the images are stored on some external cloud system

No, they're stored on your web hosting account. As for 'resources being stretched to the limits'... even cheap hosting accounts allow for GBs worth of images these days. And frequently setting up S3 or similar will cost even more than just expanding your hosting package by a little bit.

I myself have Photobucket and its ok, but there are to many ads there, and i guess the same would go with other image hosting sites as well.

I have users looking to migrate off Photobucket because Photobucket is starting to sell prints and so on of images where the uploader doesn't have the legal right for such.

As for your list of providers, I don't recognise SmugMug, Photobucket is getting invasive on your privacy, Picasa I've never used but heard good things about, Facebook damages your photos and Flickr is generally kind of neat but I haven't looked at the T&Cs or anything.

I tend to hoard my stuff and run it on my own hosting where I have control of it.

lurk

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »
I run two sites on shared hosting plans.  One Coppermine gallery, and now one running levgal. All images in the main gallery with 13,026 images are on my host.  I'll probably have to have a clean up when it hits its Inode limit, but that's a fair way off yet.
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 11:41:57 AM »
Your host actually tells you about inode limits?

This is kind of why LevGal does the weird thing it does with directories, though - it uses more inodes but it balances them out a bit better, so unless your host caps on total inodes (which would be weird, I think), you should be good for a while.

Btw, I am investigating the feasibility of a Coppermine importer for the near future. I have to say I don't especially like how their database does things. I understand why they did what they did but it wouldn't exactly be my choice, put it that way.

Bruce the Shark

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 11:44:04 AM »
ok there you go i learnt something else today.
I would have thought it would have slowed down your site if it got to the upper limit but as you mentioned you just expanded this S3 and pay for that little bit extra.

Also captain if i may ask you another question as well and i was wondering does  your mod have a feature like a carousel that you can add to your forum or post?
I mean images that can rotate, like in a website.
sorry but i'm not to savy on your new mod of what it can and can't do.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 11:58:49 AM »
No, S3 is a very different service altogether. It's run by Amazon and is literally just for storage.

I was thinking more 'expanding your plan with your host' because typically... if you get big enough to be pushing limits on space, you'll typically be pushing other limits too and need to upgrade anyway.

No, there isn't a carousel (and carousel is quite different to rotate)... but there could be if someone had some real idea of how they thought it should work. It's certainly doable, let's put it that way. I've built the foundations and now it's more a case of listening to what users want and building accordingly.

lurk

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »

Your host actually tells you about inode limits?

Yep, Hostgator are pretty hot on this stuff, they stop doing auto backups after 100.000 files (Inodes) not sure after that what the limit is now before they flag you up, or shut you down though. Will have to check that out, a lot has changed over the last couple of years. (not for the best I might add). 

This is one of the reasons I find SMF so frustrating when it comes to handling themes.  You install several themes to try them out, and unbeknown to lots of people the files are left on the server after you uninstall them from SMF.  Thousands of files. ;)

Btw, I am investigating the feasibility of a Coppermine importer for the near future. I have to say I don't especially like how their database does things. I understand why they did what they did but it wouldn't exactly be my choice, put it that way.

That would be excellent, thank you.  :ninja:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:04:56 PM by lurk »
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

maxx

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »
I my self will never use any type cloud services, any many are starting to sell software for building website and the like in a cloud, not mention severs suck, very slow many errors and all you work will be in someone else's hands ans bot under your control, too many have to much faith and trust in the those trying monopolize the Net!

IMHO!

regards,
Maxx

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
and unbeknown to lots of people the files are left on the server after you uninstall them from SMF.

I can imagine that. My dev site which has the current testing platform of LevGal (518 files), about 50 themes, remnants left behind by all the portals... that weighs in at 16,000 files. The only thing it doesn't have in abundance is the import data from the various other galleries, each one of those had its own dedicated installation, just made it easier to separate out what I was looking at.

they stop doing auto backups after 100.000 files (Inodes)

Well, inodes and files aren't quite the same thing. A folder also consumes an inode. Fortunately LevGal's consumption on that part is relatively tame, the folder sharding itself should consume no more than 272 inodes though the fact that thumbnail+preview always get built if possible, that could potentially be a bit more than other systems, as well as YouTube videos consuming an inode because the preview image is downloaded and stored.

But all in all it's not ridiculous even for media-heavy sites, I think.

Bruce the Shark

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
I was mainly thinking about users who would want to place images in a post say like a forum that sells items then you could rotate the next slide or have it loop around.

Nothing to fancy but basic to start with but Captain if you did create such a mod or added this into the one here right now everyone  would be buying your product.

It would sell like hot cakes because in theory your forum could be turned into a full fledged functional website.

Just something to think about.

This would be amazing to have similar to this website ----> here (http://wowslider.com/rq/carousel-image/ )

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »
The problem with WOWSlider is that it's not actually free for me to use, it's actually $150 plus my time to integrate. Unless it would get me 4 customers, I'm not sure it's worth it :(

But I will certainly look around for other sliders to see if that can be a thing.

I could do the 'fully fledged' website thing actually... a while ago I wrote a thing in the SMF Helpdesk that allowed it to turn off the forum and just be a helpdesk. Something similar could be done here.

maxx

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »
If you do use a slider, I would limit it to the intro page or home page, other wise it may get annoying and distracting, and also place some content above the slider so the S engines index that content! and yes there are sliders that are free or even much cheaper.

regards,
maxx

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
*nods* I'm just curious to hear more about what people would want and how they think it should be used.

maxx

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 01:59:18 PM »
Well,

I was mainly thinking of your site, however for your program, is something else, you'll need user control/s and the j script and CSS (like Bootstrap)  and a tiny bit of HTML5.. to keep it low on resources, I'd think???

regards,
Maxx

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »
User controls can be a thing, as can using CSS and XHTML (since most SMF themes are XHTML not HTML5) and I can certainly be careful about resources, just trying to get a feel for what people would want.
Pages: [1] 2 3

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc