Levertine

Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: thumbnails in posts ?  (Read 15818 times)

TomW

thumbnails in posts ?
« on: January 12, 2015, 10:40:52 PM »
When I use the bbcode to place the levgal media image into a post, it shows a thumbnail.  I would prefer a full-size image or an image with a height/width limit embedded in the post, per the way smf handles attachments, or maybe a lightbox effect from the post, instead of clicking twice to view the full-size image.  Is this possible ?

Thanks, this mods is very promising !  I really like the bulk upload; I hammered it and it executed flawlessly !
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:47:54 PM by TomW »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

Re: thumbnails in posts ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:55:15 PM »
The main problem with doing all of the above is that getting to actually play nicely in themes is surprisingly difficult. The amount of issues I encountered with Aeva doing that... it's why I was determined to try and avoid that.

Certainly exposing the preview image isn't significantly difficult to do, since there's a preview image for most items (max 500px), but lightbox is much more troublesome to make happen. But it is on the list for 1.1 to review and see if I can do something with it.

TomW

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks; that would help.  My forum members are used to seeing larger images.

Steve

• Alcohol is the liquid version of Photoshop.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 01:24:59 AM »
I would prefer a full-size image ...

Same here. I don't know what the lightbox stuff means but I was hoping that the bbcode it was showing me was to the full size image. I must admit to being surprised that this is not the case.

At any rate, if that's something that can be done for a future version that would be great. :)

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 02:26:22 AM »
Whereas including a full size image most of the time is a bad idea, seeing how cameras invariably take photos well into the 4000x3000 pixel size, which is far beyond what SMF themes will cope with ;)

Though I guess I can include a bbcode option for 'display full size anyway and if it breaks my layout, so what?' I will admit I do plan to have a button in the editor where you can go select an item out of your gallery and include it nicely into the post. How feasible that is remains to be seen.

lurk

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »

Though I guess I can include a bbcode option for 'display full size anyway and if it breaks my layout, so what?'

That would be a suitable work around imo.

I will admit I do plan to have a button in the editor where you can go select an item out of your gallery and include it nicely into the post. How feasible that is remains to be seen.

Also liking that idea.  8)

Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Steve

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 11:31:57 AM »
I'm confused then (nothing unusual) ... what are the quota restrictions for? And what does that even mean?

lurk

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »
I'm confused then (nothing unusual) ... what are the quota restrictions for? And what does that even mean?

You mean in "Media Quotas and File Types"

Basically you have a setting for space taken up for all media item on your server. "The maximum server space that is allowed to be used by all your gallery files"  This is everyone's files combined Total space allocated on your server.

Then you have quota's for each type of file, so for example you can set jpg images to be a maximum file size each, say 4mb or 6mb etc.  You can set this for each file type.

File size has nothing to do with image size though.  File size and image size are two separate things.  Example below. ;)

Ile size 273KB Image size 800 x 533 pixels

File size 36KB Image size the same 800 x 533 pixels

Note:  Both the images above have been optimised for web use, the original is, File size 2.66 MB Image size 3904 x 2336 pixels Which is far too big for normal web use.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:22:10 PM by lurk »

Steve

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »
I knew most of that but thanks for the clarification. :)

Am I correct in that a quota has to be defined for any membergroup in order for them to be able to upload?

Edit: Also, don't the limits I set in "Media Quotas and File Types" prevent someone from trying to upload something greater than those limits?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:53:22 PM by Steve »

lurk

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 12:44:01 PM »
I knew most of that but thanks for the clarification. :)

Am I correct in that a quota has to be defined for any membergroup in order for them to be able to upload?

Providing the group has upload permissions set on the "Media Permissions" page first.  Then each group can be assigned a quota for each file type in "Media Quotas and File Types".

If that's what you're asking.

Steve

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »
I did do the upload permissions first but hadn't done the quotas and my members couldn't add an item. Now that I've set the quotas, they should be able to, right?

lurk

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »
I did do the upload permissions first but hadn't done the quotas and my members couldn't add an item. Now that I've set the quotas, they should be able to, right?

Yes.  Providing the type of file they are uploading is enabled in  "Media Quotas and File Types"

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »
Yup. That part is not the most effective UI I've ever done, but yes, that's how it works.

Permission to upload is merely permission to upload *something*. You do then have to configure what people can upload. For example on this site, there is no quota enabled for zip files so no-one (except me) can upload zip files even though they are actually enabled and members have permissions to upload.

The idea is that you might want to let trusted members upload larger files, or let premium members upload certain types of files, which is quota controlled, more finely set up than just 'can upload files' or 'cannot upload files'.

Steve

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 02:56:48 PM »
Cool beans.

Sorry for all the questions but I have a couple more.

If I set a quota to a max of say 800x800 and the member tries to add an item larger, they'll get some kind of error message (same with file size obviously)?

Also, specifically for Arantor ... I've read through this thread and I can't decipher if you've decided to add a bbcode to the full-size image or not.

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 03:11:37 PM »
Yes, they will get a warning if you try to do that.

As for the bbcode, I haven't decided how to handle it yet. I'm still very reticent about adding a bbcode that just links to a full size image when the image will break the theme. Linking to the preview is all good, linking to the full size has issues, especially when you start factoring in things like non-images bbcode items, and using the lightbox (the shiny thing that darkens the background to show the picture itself) inside posts, and all the places this can come up... this is complicated, because it has to work seamlessly in all those places, including RSS feeds and SSI and portals, and there's already a lot of juggling going on to do that and keep it efficient, since I spent several hours just on that piece alone.

You see, looking up an item in bbcode requires multiple DB queries (potentially), and doing those per bbcode instance on the page is extremely expensive, so I came up with a way to batch them up to the end of the page and do them all at once, which limits what can be done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc