Levertine

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Unseen items remain unseen?  (Read 2670 times)

Steve

• Alcohol is the liquid version of Photoshop.

Unseen items remain unseen?
« on: January 04, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »
The menu bar shows that I have one unseen item so I click it and view the item. Why does the menu bar continue to indicate that I've got one unseen item?

Edit: just found that if I actually click on the item it clears but shouldn't it clear once I view it?

lurk

Re: Unseen items remain unseen?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »

Edit: just found that if I actually click on the item it clears but shouldn't it clear once I view it?

Steve, I'm a tad confused.  Surely it's working properly then.  If you click on the item to view it, then you've seen it.  If you don't click on the item, then you haven't seen it.  Let me go check on my setup.  ;)

EDIT:  Well there is something strange going on.  My media button wasn't showing that I had any unseen items, until I just uploaded another photo, then it showed I had three unseen items.  Clicked on those and it cleared it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:36:40 PM by lurk »
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
Because like the topics in SMF, they're unread until you actually go into the topic, and unseen items work the same way - assuming I'm understanding you correctly.

There is a lot of caching going on with unseen items to keep it fast and it seems my caching might be a little bit too aggressive...

Steve

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 03:34:44 PM »
@ lurk - glad I'm not the only one. Yea, I meant I click on the link in the menu bar dropdown which shows me the items I haven't seen yet the menu bar won't clear unless I actually click on each item like you just said.

Edit: @ Arantor - makes sense but I think there should be a difference between viewing a topic title and viewing an image imo ... :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:36:52 PM by Steve »

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 03:45:57 PM »
Oh, I see, you're saying there's 1 unseen item, and you're viewing it right then so why does the menu still say it's unseen even though you're right there?

Mostly because the menu code runs before the main page code does, and at the time the menu code runs, it is still technically unseen and has no way to know that it's not, if that makes sense.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 04:10:55 PM »
Makes sense, I think, but once I leave the page where I'm seeing the images, does that still hold true? Or is that what you're saying?

Arantor

• Levertine Developer

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 04:23:24 PM »
No, that holds true even when you hit the page that actually is an item you haven't seen.

Seeing the small thumbnails definitely doesn't count as seeing the items.

lurk

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 05:36:35 PM »

Edit: @ Arantor - makes sense but I think there should be a difference between viewing a topic title and viewing an image imo ... :)

But you haven't viewed the image until you click on the thumbnail.  So what I was saying above is,  it is working as it should do.  ;)

As for my problem, I've not been able to replicate it again, so I'm putting it down to a problem my end. Internet Explorer 11 perhaps.  :-[
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.9 / Tinyportal 1.1 and Levertine Gallery

Steve

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »
No, that holds true even when you hit the page that actually is an item you haven't seen.

Seeing the small thumbnails definitely doesn't count as seeing the items.

Ah, now I understand. Thanks both of you. :)

SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines
BlueLight design by Bloc